Monday, July 17

Golf as Fitness

Since I joined the golf club, not only have I been playing more golf but I've been getting some great exercise. Namely, walking the golf course.

Great Oaks Country Club is a particularly hilly layout in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Southwest Virginia. Although most people opt to ride, I walk every sweaty step toting my clubs. I love it!

Of course, I want to play well. But I also view my time on the course as a hike and therapy. My legs are stronger and I've shed several pounds, even though I was reasonably trim before.

Call me old-fashioned, but I think it's a shame more people don't walk. It's good exercise and provides a more natural rhythm to the game.

The Armchair Golfer

4 comments :

Jason said...

I completely agree. I rarely drive a golf cart. I don't use a pull cart either. I carry my clubs on my back :).

Lancer said...

Why don't you set aside a time each day to exercise and use a cart to speed the game up.? Five to six hour rounds are no fun at all.

Anonymous said...

You should walk, it is part of the game. Carts should be used only when you are unable to walk.

Anonymous said...

Amen.