Friday, October 27

Faldo Speaks About Sitting in CBS Hot Seat

Forget the Champions Tour. Nick Faldo will be announcing rather than playing golf.

Earlier this month Nick Faldo was named the lead golf analyst for CBS, replacing Lanny Wadkins. SI's Michael Bamberger recently quizzed the newest accent to CBS golf coverage.

Faldo talks about the CBS crew, his resemblance to Harrison Ford, and sheds light on the British slang term, "cat's lick." He also reveals who he thinks is today's best golf announcer. Yes, Johnny Miller.

How will Nick be different from Johnny Miller?

"Johnny's great, but I'll do it my way," Faldo told SI. "I think of it not as a golf broadcast but as entertainment, for three to five hours. I need to make sure I'm quick, informative, serious when that's what's called for, funny when that's the right tone. I'd like to offer a bit of instruction. You have to be sharp, and you have to be entertaining. Simple as that."

Read the Q&A here.

The Armchair Golfer

2 comments :

Dale Chavez said...

I tend to think that Faldo will be reigned in on CBS far more than anyone realizes. Remember what happened to Gary McCord after his Masters' comments.

Dale

The Armchair Golfer said...

Like everyone at CBS, I think Faldo will be more reserved during The Masters telecast. But otherwise I see no reason why he can't be himself in the CBS tower. Muzzling him would be a mistake.