Saturday, July 19

Greg Norman Displays Greatness at British Open

I HAD FORGOTTEN. Or, perhaps more accurate, I might not have truly appreciated Greg Norman. This British Open at Royal Birkdale has re-opened my eyes to the enormous talent of the Great White Shark.

To be the 54-hole leader at The Open Championship at age 53 is nothing short of phenomenal. His third-round 72 in high winds was masterful. Norman’s performance in the Open, after virtually no practice and tournament play, is one of the most impressive things I’ve witnessed in professional golf in a long time.

I admit it. I was never a big Greg Norman fan. I knew he was the best player of an era, or part of an era, but I always thought of him as an underachiever who choked in the majors. To be fair, Greg was just plain unlucky in a couple: the PGA Championship he lost to Bob Tway and the Larry Mize chip-in that broke his heart at the Masters.

I hope Norman wins this one. I’m sure a lot of people are pulling for him now, just as they were rooting for Rocco Mediate last month at the U.S. Open. Tomorrow could bring the sweetest victory of the Shark’s career.

−The Armchair Golfer

No comments :