Monday, December 29

Barack Obama: 'I'm Not That Good'

(Wright/Flickr)




WHILE PLAYING GOLF ON VACATION in Hawaii, President-elect Barack Obama reportedly said, “I'm not that good.”

Obama played 18 holes at the Olomana Golf Links on the island of Oahu. He told reporters to put a few beers on his tab, but no one took him up on the offer.

We've all said it. I certainly have. You know how it goes. Someone asks, “What's your handicap? How many strokes will you give me?”

Then you say, “I'm not that good.” And, “I haven't been playing.” Or, “My back went out. I have no idea how I'll get around today, much less score.”

We'll soon find out how good Mr. Obama is when the Presidents Golf Championship (PGC) gets underway. I don't want to tip my hand, but I'm going to tip my hand − a little. Obama is the No. 8 seed and his first-round match is against the No. 9 seed, Ronald Reagan.

This won't be a vacation round. It will be president against president, mano a mano.

Win an Autographed Copy of First Off the Tee

Through the end of the tournament (around Inauguration Day), ARMCHAIR GOLF will accept entries for a free autographed copy of Don Van Natta’s First Off the Tee: Presidential Hackers, Duffers, and Cheaters from Taft to Bush. Sign up at top right under the brown box.

−The Armchair Golfer

Related:
Ulysses S. Grant Earns Final Spot in PGC Field
Presidents Golf Championship Adds Golf Analyst
America’s Golfing Presidents

5 comments :

Lady Golfer said...

The Ronald Regan comment was not very nice.

The Armchair Golfer said...

What are you referring to, LG?

Miranda said...

There's something very smarmy about Obama telling the reporters to put some beers on his tab. That sounds too much like a 'good ole boys' political attitude. Especially when he's supposedly really health conscious.

As for his golf and his self-assessment, I think he's probably really good. He seems to be someone who seeks perfection. That's why I don't think he'll ever get a dog. Too much dog hair to suit the impeccably dressed First Family. It's probably why Biden got the dog. Someone in the administration had to :)

The Armchair Golfer said...

I think they'll get the dog, Miranda. He promised his daughters, and that's one campaign promise he absolutely can't break.

Dennis said...

I guess that will be the last golf game that he will enjoy the most... before moving onto his role as the president.