Saturday, May 2
Jim McLean Course Set to Open at Doral
Jim McLean has operated a golf school at Doral for two decades.
THE DORAL GOLF RESORT & SPA, a Marriott Resort, will debut The Jim McLean Signature Course at Doral, which was formerly known as the Silver Course.
Named after acclaimed golf instructor Jim McLean, a Top 100 Instructor who operates the Jim McLean Golf School at Doral, The Jim McLean Signature Course is McLean’s first full golf course design project, and is highlighted by three of the toughest starting holes in golf.
The new par-70 layout is set to open this month. Highlights include widened fairways, enhanced water visuals and an increased course length from 6,557 yards to over 7,100 yards. The course also boasts a collection of dramatic par-3 holes on the back nine known as the Bermuda Triangle.
A bevy of golf products, services, destinations, events, news and more. Endorsement is not implied.
• Classic Sports Brands (CSB) is honoring legendary golf professional and acclaimed golf instructor, Bob Toski, and his first Classic Golf Cruise and new agency affiliation with CSB.
• GolfBallsAndAccessories.com sells used golf balls for as low as $0.30 each and used ProV1s for as low as $1 each.
• Macali Communications has launched a blog and new strategy for SeeMore.
• The World Golf Tour (WGT.com) is hosting a virtual U.S. Open Championship at Bethpage Black.
• A revised and updated edition of the top-selling The Eight-Step Swing by legendary golf teaching pro Jim McLean has been released for sale by publisher HarperCollins.
• Nick Costner writes comedy golf songs (SongsAboutGolf.com) and has been featured on ESPN Radio and TravelGolf.com.
• Henry-Griffitts, a custom-club fitter for 26 years, announced the release of its new OS-1 Irons.
• The Wind Meter Application for iPhone (WindApp.com) was developed by a start-up group of young engineers in Silicon Valley who enjoy the game of golf.
• Ladies Links Fore Golf (LL4G) and Nancy Lopez Golf (NLG) have formed an affiliation to offer amateur women golfers the “Best of the Best” combination in golf instruction and equipment.
• Dr. Robert Grober, a professor of Applied Physics and Physics at Yale University has developed a highly advanced, yet easy to use, swing aid − the Sonic Golf System-1 − that enables golfers at all skill levels to develop and maintain a consistent swing motion that will assist in game improvement.
• GolfSigma (GolfSigma.com) is a tee time search engine that searches tee time Web sites and conveniently displays all the results on the GolfSigma site.
• Performance apparel by AHEAD (AheadWeb.com) is a Father’s Day gift opportunity.
• Slotline® is celebrating its new Web Site (SlotlineGolf.com) with a putter giveaway.
• In its May 2009 issue (on newsstands), WSJ. Magazine features a behind-the-scenes look into former party boy Anthony Kim’s new lifestyle, from his workout regimen and diet, to his iPod playlist of choice for hyping up before tournaments.
• Tiger Woods is honored in TIME’s list of 100 most influential people in the world (on newsstands).
• GOLF CHANNEL will combine exclusive early round live tournament coverage with Live From THE PLAYERS news reporting for 35 hours of THE PLAYERS programming.
• Imperial Headwear is teaming with the golf coaches association to sponsor the teams for the Palmer Cup.
• Marriott Golf has launched its “Fairway Furloughs” Military Golf Program.
• The Amphibian golf towel (AmphibianTowel.com) by Frogger Golf has twice the surface area as the standard towel, plus it’s the world’s first towel to stay both wet and dry in rainy or sunny weather. Available in three colors, retails for $24.95.
• The 2009 PUMA Open golf event series is underway with plans to visit 15 cities across North America from May through October.
• The World Golf Tour (WGT.com) is holding a contest for a video blogger that will commentate on the virtual and real-life U.S. Open. The search will reward the lucky winner with an all-expenses paid trip to the U.S. Open with a press pass and camera crew to capture the event on behalf of WGT.com as well as report on updates of the virtual U.S. Open.
• For the 12th year, PGA/LPGA Professionals in all areas will be offering free 10-minute golf lessons throughout the month of May as part of PGA Free Lesson Month.
• Le Towelé (www.argeecorp.com/HTML/letowele.htm) is a 14" x 16" black microfiber towel that attaches to a retractable cord which draws back into a clip-on waistband device. The high-quality towel can easily be removed from the device and thrown right in the washing machine for the next round of golf.
• GOLF CHANNEL’s newest original series, Golf in America (June 23 premiere), will travel coast-to-coast to discover never-before-told stories, larger-than-life characters and inspirational people to capture the spirit of the game of golf.
• The Half Moon summer golf package (HalfMoon.com) includes seven nights free when booking seven nights (14 nights total) and five free rounds of golf.
• South Carolina dominated Golf Digest magazine’s new list of the 100 top public golf courses in the United States.
−The Armchair Golfer