Friday, June 5

King of Golf Cartoons: ‘Nasty Slice’

Copyright © Jerry King. All rights reserved. Used with permission.

What is the nastiest slice or other off-line shot you’ve ever hit? Where did the ball end up?

−The Armchair Golfer

Jerry King is an award-winning cartoonist whose credits and clients include Golf Digest, United States Golf Association and Disney. His golf cartoons are regularly featured at ARMCHAIR GOLF.


Charles Boyer said...

Not so much me (though I have done it) but everyone who plays at my club knows about this one house on our fifth hole that is like a slice magnet. For some reason, the developers put the houses on the right side very tight to the fairway, and this one house is like a pinball bumper when it comes to errant shots.

It can be hit 3-4 times a day in the summer and the owner finally got tired of replacing windows and put in some very expensive golf-ball-proof tempered glass over most of it, save for a French door they keep covered in plywood.

Me, last year I hit an over-swung banana-ball that *almost* missed their house. On the far corner, they had a ceramic windchime hanging and the golf ball slammed through it and shattered it into a hundred pieces. The owner was sitting outside when it happened, and I felt obliged to apologize and offer to pay for it.

They said no, that's part of living on the golf course. I asked again to make sure they were serious, but they refused any repayment.

I played out the round, but got thinking about it that night. That's when I drove over and put a check in an envelope for $40 saying that I hope that they could get another wind chime as nice as the one I broke. I added that I knew they didn't want any money but I figured it was the neighborly thing to do.

The Armchair Golfer said...

What a great tale, Charles. And a nice ending. You did a good turn. Thanks for sharing.