Sunday, September 6
ARMCHAIR GOLF Briefs
A bevy of golf products, services, destinations, events, news and more. Endorsement is not implied.
• The Folds of Honor Foundation announced it has awarded more than 360 scholarships to the children and spouses of military members killed or severely disabled in the line of duty, bringing to 550 the total number of scholarships awarded in two years since the creation of the Foundation. The scholarships can be used to attend two-year, four-year, post-college or vocational schools.
• Alder Foods has teamed up with Nestlé and the Deutsche Bank Championship to raise money for the Fisher House Foundation and Fisher House Boston. Alder Foods and Nestlé recently launched the “Every Penny Counts” promotion at U.S. military commissaries worldwide. Through September 30, Nestlé will donate one cent from every Coffee-mate liquid creamer and Nesquik chilled ready-to-drink flavored milk sold at U.S. military commissaries to the Fisher House Foundation, which builds comfort homes for the families of wounded veterans to stay at while their relatives are undergoing treatment.
• The new St. Regis Punta Mita Resort, an official sponsor of the Riviera Nayarit Classic set to take place in Punta Mita, Mexico, September 28 through October 4, 2009, will welcome golf enthusiasts to the Resort with special Canadian Professional Golf Tour “Pro-Am VIP” packages.
• National University announced the opening of the National University Golf Academy, which will offer innovative golf programs that combine academics with golf instruction at the high school, associate’s and bachelor’s levels.
• Guests staying at the Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas or The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach can enjoy world-class golf together as a family with Kaanapali Golf Resort’s Juniors Play Free – Bring the Ohana program. The program offers one junior golfer, age seven to 17, a free round or ride when accompanied by a paying adult on the Kaanapali Kai Course. The offer is valid through Sept. 30, 2009. In addition, guests staying at either property are entitled to preferred green fees: $150 to play the Kaanapali Kai Course and $190 to play the Royal Kaanapali Course (non-guest green fees are $195 and $235, respectively).
• Vista Valley Country Club will be the only San Diego venue for Tee it Up for the Troops’ (TIUFTT) National Day of Golf, scheduled for September 14, 2009 to raise money for wounded soldiers and their families.
• The Sports Club/LA has opened The Golf Academy by The Sports Club/LA, recognized as the most comprehensive indoor golf training facility in the world. The 6,000 square foot facility offers state-of-the-art golf training and teaching technology, along with top PGA and TPI certified golf teaching professionals and advanced golf specific fitness programs.
• GOLF CHANNEL concluded its exclusive coverage of The Solheim Cup by garnering its highest rating ever (.93) for the final day of the LPGA’s biennial team event, tripling the Sunday rating from 2007 (.27) and far outpacing the Sunday rating in 2005 (.62), the last time the event was played on U.S. soil.
• Southwest Section PGA announced that it has partnered with SolarMotion Laboratories, Inc. The Scottsdale-based company will be a Technology Sponsor of the SWSPGA. SolarMotion manufactures a state-of-the-art solar powered golf cart roof that is compatible and interchangeable with E-Z-GO, a leading supplier of golf, turf and utility vehicles throughout the world, Club Car, Inc. and Yamaha.
• Big Break Disney Golf contestant Andrew Giuliani won the 94th Met Open Championship to join the likes of golf legends Walter Hagen, Byron Nelson and Gene Sarazen, as well as current PGA TOUR player Johnson Wagner, as a winner of the event.
• ClubCorp announced that it is hosting the third annual ClubCorp Charity Classic in partnership with the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA). The event is the world’s largest multi-site charity golf and dining event, with participating clubs teeing up across the country from California to New York.
• PGA Professional Brad Brewer of Shingle Creek Golf Club has signed with Zondervan to publish Mentored by the King, Arnold Palmer: Success Skills for Golf, Business and Life. Publication is slated for Fall 2010.
• Thursday, Sept. 10, Arnold Palmer will celebrate his 80th birthday, and GOLF CHANNEL will honor the occasion and say thank you to the man who brought a passion to the sport – as well as a channel devoted to the game – to mainstream America. Throughout the week, GOLF CHANNEL will air special programming on-air and online to pay tribute to the man simply known as “The King.”
• The history of a golf club Pete and Alice Dye refer to as their “firstborn” is captured in detail in a new book entitled Crooked Stick Golf Club: A story of the original masterpiece from America’s first couple of golf by Chris Withwein.
• LongHorn Steakhouse announced “Tee Off & Tunes with Darius Rucker” – a national sweepstakes giving guests a chance to win backstage access to a private Darius Rucker concert and VIP tickets to this year’s THE TOUR Championship presented by Coca-Cola.
• GolfGym has teamed up with A Girls On-Course Survival Guide to Golf™ author Christina Ricci to offer an exclusive FREE “Shape up Your Game” promotion for women with the purchase of a GolfGym PowerSwing Trainer.
• Atlanta Kitchen, Inc. is the Official Countertop of the Golf Club of Georgia.
• MGM MIRAGE will build a luxury hotel at the Egyptian development of New Giza, alongside a spectacular new golf course designed by Thomson Perrett & Lobb.
• After sixteen months of transforming a former, twelve-acre fruit orchard into a playable golf course, Tony Ciabattoni and his Colombian wife Sandra Gonzalez have opened the first public golf facility in the city of Bucaramanga, Colombia. In fact, it is the only public golf course in the state of Santander, the sixth most populous state in Colombia, of which Bucaramanga is the capital.
• Mayakoba Resort will unveil a state-of-the-art Jim McLean Golf Academy later this fall. The Mayakoba location will be the first and only Jim McLean Golf Academy in Mexico.
• The new “I’m Tired of Bogeys” bracelet is a fun golf accessory with a serious purpose because it raises money for charity. Half the sale ($5) of each bracelet goes to nonprofit Caddy For A Cure.
• Graphite Design has introduced a new YSQ 45 gram Ultralight shaft.
• Designed specifically for golfers, QUIET PLEASE Bamboo Socks feature mid-foot ribbing that enhances blood circulation and supports the arch, keeping the feet invigorated.
−The Armchair Golfer