Tuesday, January 26

Lefty Comes Out to Play


























THIS YOUNG LEFTY has a nice finish. Weight on right side. Tummy pointing down the fairway. I’ll bet he hit a good one. Or did he lose it left, the dreaded shot of that famous Lefty, perhaps his idol?

Phil Mickelson gets back to the office this week. He’ll tee it up in his hometown tournament, the Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines in La Jolla, a Bubba Watson drive and 5-iron from San Diego.

I read that Phil has been in full tune-up mode, with his trio of coaches at his side. They would be swing coach Butch Harmon, short-game guru Dave Pelz and putting wizard Dave Stockton. Contrary to popular belief, you can find good help. (At least you can if you’re World No. 2.)

Lefty turns 40 in June. I’m guessing the U.S. Open would be the perfect birthday present. I’ll say it: This could be a big year for Phil. You can put me down on January 26. (I think everyone else has already said it. It’s an annual golf tradition.)

Quiz question:
Can you name the three southpaws who have won professional majors? (I’ve already spotted you one.)

−The Armchair Golfer

(Image: cobonepo/Flickr)

5 comments :

Mike said...

I'm guessing Phil, Mike Weir, and Bob Charles.

Dexter(Quoteguy) said...

I'll go on record with you. Phil's going to have a great year. He had a strong finish to the 2009 season and like you said he's surrounded by three legends. I'm giving him 5 wins, one of them being a major. Not the U.S. Open though. I see another green jacket in his future.

The Armchair Golfer said...

You are correct, Mike.

Mike said...

Yay, me! I got it right--er, left!

And I'm with you, Dex. I've already gone on record: If Phil's got his putting stroke back, I'm predicting him to take over #1 in the world by the end of 2012. (Might as well go out on a limb once in a while.)

However, I like Phil at Pebble this year. He's got a good record there.

Heather said...

I'm hoping this is the "Year of Phil."

I'm also hoping Golfing Son will be added to this southpaw list in about 20 years. ;o)