Wednesday, May 9

17th at TPC Sawgrass: ‘Most Terrifying Two Seconds’

The par-3 17th hole at TPC Sawgrass, site of The Players Championship. (Perfectance)
 (From the ARMCHAIR GOLF archives.)

The ardent golfer would play Mount Everest if somebody put a flagstick on top."
−Pete Dye

 DO YOU EVER WATCH A GOLF TELECAST and secretly wish you could try your luck on a certain hole?

The par-3 17th hole at TPC Sawgrass brings out that desire in me. So does the par-3 12th hole at Augusta National. I’d just love to drop a few golf balls and take my swings on those challenging holes, preferably when no one was around.

I’d probably choke my guts out, but it would be SO MUCH FUN.

I recall watching the Bruce Edwards Memorial Caddie Competition on Golf Channel. To raise money, entertain the crowd and share a few laughs with their player bosses, caddies teed it up on the famous 17th hole with the island green.

The caddies tried their best to reach terra firma, but many splashed down. I saw one cold shank his tee shot. Another hit a low liner that skipped across the water until it ricocheted off the railroad ties that border the green. Some had gorgeous golf swings. The winner struck his shot to within two feet of the hole.

One former PGA Tour caddie told Golfweek, “I was terrified. I couldn’t get my hands dry. It’s the most terrifying two seconds in a caddie’s life.”

I’d love to be that terrified—at least once.

3 comments :

Anonymous said...

It is a scary green to stare down folks.

Wonder,if any player has ever soiled emself going at this green.

It does produce strange reactions.

The Armchair Golfer said...

You might not want to wear white pants.

Kathy said...

DO YOU EVER WATCH A GOLF TELECAST and secretly wish you could try your luck on a certain hole?


Yeah. So much like I'm in the jealousy level already