Tuesday, May 22

‘THE LONGEST SHOT’ Releases Today

You’ve read my blog. Now I invite you to read my book.

Jack Fleck in May 2010.
Today’s official release of THE LONGEST SHOT: Jack Fleck, Ben Hogan, and Pro Golf’s Greatest Upset at the 1955 U.S. Open is the culmination of a journey that began five years ago when I called Jack Fleck at his home in Fort Smith, Arkansas. I discovered a fascinating story and epic upset that had not been fully told. It was a story that, as a golf fan, I would love to read. But there was no book.

Facing the long odds of attracting a literary agent, getting a book deal from a major publisher and so much more, I began. Readers of this blog—that’s you!—have played an important role. The popularity of ARMCHAIR GOLF BLOG helped convince major publishers to consider THE LONGEST SHOT.

Here, at last, is the book about Fleck’s extraordinary triumph and Hogan’s unexpected tragedy, from St. Martin’s Press (Thomas Dunne Books). With the U.S. Open returning to the Olympic Club in San Francisco where Fleck shocked the world 57 years ago, it could not be more timely.

Early reviews and praise:

“Sagebiel wrings every ounce of drama and poignancy out of this remarkable sporting event .... Great storytelling and great golf history.” –Booklist (starred review)

“Sagebiel honors the grand tradition of profound and poetic literature in golf.” –Ian O’Connor, New York Times bestselling author of Arnie & Jack

“The combination of a taut narrative and Sagebiel’s golf knowledge make the story accessible to general readers.” –Publishers Weekly

“Destined to become a classic of golf literature.” –Don Van Natta Jr., New York Times bestselling author of WONDER GIRL and First Off the Tee

Availability
 
THE LONGEST SHOT, in hardcover and ebook editions, is available at bookstores nationwide and online at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Books-A-Million, IndieBound, Powells and elsewhere. I hope you’ll pick up a copy for yourself, and/or one as a gift. Father’s Day is just around the corner, too.

If you’re attending this year’s U.S. Open, please come meet me on Monday, June 11, in the Merchandise Pavilion, where I’ll be doing a book signing from 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.

To learn more about the story behind THE LONGEST SHOT, or to read an excerpt, please see the links in the sidebar at right.

5 comments :

Charles Prokop said...

Congratulations on reaching a major milestone in a long, exhausting, and wonderful process. I'm really looking forward to reading the book. It'll be fun to see how it changes how I see Olympic as I watch this year's Open.

Average Golfer said...

See above. Congrats Neil. Very well deserved.

The Armchair Golfer said...

Thank you, Bob and Charles. Your readership and participation around here have been terrific and helped me keep it going.

Cary Lonis said...

Neil, based on your interview on GolfTalkRadio..... I will definitely buy your book. Your insight into Jack Fleck and the timing of everything is fascinating.... Thank you!!

The Armchair Golfer said...

Terrific, Cary. Thank you so much. Glad you were listening. Please drop me a line when you've had a chance to read it and let me know what you think.