Wednesday, October 17

Boo Weekley Fighting for PGA Tour Card

Boo Weekley (Allison)
GOLF CHANNEL’S RANDALL MELL FILED A STORY today on Boo Weekley. The 39-year-old former Ryder Cupper is No. 121 on the PGA Tour money list as he tees it up this week at The McGladrey Classic in Sea Island, Georgia. The top 125 earn full playing privileges.

Weekley has entered the majority of his 24 events this season on sponsor exemptions after losing his PGA Tour card last year and not making it through the grueling Q-school. He has a legitimate shot at getting his card backif he can hang on to his spot. In addition to playing this week, Weekley is in the field (thanks to a sponsor exemption) for the season-ending Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals Classic in November.

As Mell reported and Weekley was quoted, the pride of Milton, Florida, has been playing hurt for quite some time. Boo had a third shoulder surgery at the beginning of the season. If that weren’t enough, another injury, as Mell wrote, “has literally been a pain in the rear.”

Not knowing a delicate way to put it, the plainspoken golfer informed the media, “I had cysts in my rectum.” So that was another two surgeries to get rid of the cysts. Not fun stuff. Still, Weekley makes no excuses.

“It’s embarrassing. How is that? Just the way I’ve been playing the last two years. I don’t care if I’ve been hurt or not.”

His confidence is shot.

“My big thing right now is I have no self esteem on the golf course. Ever since I came back from that hiney surgery, that is how I’ve felt.”

Weekley said he will feel much better if he can reclaim his card. It looks like it will take the McGladrey and also a Miracle.

No comments :